Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another One Rides the Bus

Driving in Tirana might be fun for some. If you like suprises, i.e. the one-way street that was going one direction yesterday may very well be going the opposite direction today. The brand new asfalted road that was laid down a week ago may today have gaping holes where they've torn it right out again. If you don't mind the roads becoming parking lots at every intersection, or trying to drive on narrow one lane roads that against the laws of physics suddenly become three lane roads, then Tirana awaits your driving pleasure. I'm not even going to go on about the impossiblity of finding a parking place in a city where cars were never thought of in it's planning.





All this to say, I would rather take the public transportation




Of course the public transportation has it's own aaah....shall we say eccentricities. Like buses which have gaping holes in the floors. It is interesting to watch the road and wheels from that perspective.



Then there are the teaming masses of people also riding the bus. Being squashed between innumerable people who don't smell like this...



It's not so bad in winter. Afterall, being so crammed so close together can make the bus ride warmer. Not a bad thing in winter. However. In the summer it is an all together different experience. If you have ever smelled the smell of hot wet wool, garlic and sweat, then perhaps you might be close to knowing what a summer bus ride in Tirana is like.





Still for all it's difficulties, I still say hurray or public transportation.





11 comments:

tsduff said...

Ah yes, I remember it well... my first of glimpse of Albania while flying in a horrible small plane stuffed with stinky men reading newspapers... flying over the green coast near Durres to the airport. On the drive to Tirana Dave pointed out a giant bridge - and then proceeded to drive around it rather than on it. Although it was just a few years old, there were already huge holes right through the concrete due to poor construction materials - big enough to swallow a car! And, I can also picture on the way to Sevda's house the huge sinkhole in the middle of the road, complete with military truck sunk down into the middle of it.

I've not ridden a bus over there, but it sounds quite "cultural" LOL. ewww - can do without the smells. At least there aren't chickens on the bus. :D

Ariel the Thief said...

I now feel stupid for ever complaining of Budapest roads and parking lots and public transport. Spoilt Hungarians!

Aren't people starting to look at you angry when you make pictures in the crowd?

dandjschoch said...

Yes, Terry, I am happy to say that there are usually no livestock on the bus, excepting us of course.

Ariel- They don't seem to mind my taking pictures, though I don't do it obviously. Few regular Albanians have cameras of their own so if I take picutures of individual people I give them a copy to have for themselves. This makes everyone happy.

Ariel the Thief said...

Evry once in a while I take photos of strangers, this is a copy of the photo some of them asks for, too.

tsduff said...

Julee - you need to go check out the latter comments in the post called Gametime at where gave you a nice plug ;)

tsduff said...

My links are always getting messed up. It should say at Waking Ambrose, where Ariel gave you a nice plug. Click on the time stamp... gee whiz how did that happen?

Kelly said...

HA HA HA, LOL!!! (about Terry's links). That's why I never make links because I don't know how! Julee, I can't believe it's been so long since I looked at your blog! Today is the first time in 2 weeks I guess!!!! Shame on me, and shame on me for not replying yet to your wonderful email!! I really loved it and will write soon!!!!! I also love your little glimpses into life in Albania! Even though it is so different, it still brings back memories of France. We won't go into the toilet descriptions at the moment, but the bus ride sounds very similar to my bus rides in France!!! Pheeeeewwww!!!! Of course my height put my nose right about armpit level and everyone was always standing holding on to those hand loops hanging down to help you keep your balance.....
AAAAhhhh. Keep your posts coming!!! Love them and love you too! Bye for now, Love, Kelly ;D

tsduff said...

Jules - are you still in Croatia? How's the weather - I heard there were terrible storms in Europe. Hope you are having a fabulous time! (Sorry Dave)

tsduff said...

Oh JULEEEEEEEE,
where are theeeeeeeeeeeeee
it's TERRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Mom said...

Hello Family! How well we remember traveling by car in Albania. The crazy drivers trying to dodge the potholes at varying speeds. It was a white-knuckle experience. And to think that before we know it, Matthew will be of driving age! We pray for your safety. Love you all,

tsduff said...

Julee Julee bo boolie
Bananafana fo foolie
Fee fie mo moolie
Julee

Matthew driving? AAAAUUUGGHHHHH!!!!!! With Dave teaching him, it will be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride :D