Monday, October 22, 2007




My son, Timmy, was lamenting the fact that he didn't have a bicycle the other day. When I reminded him of the fact that if he had one all of the neighborhood kids would all be asking to ride it or trying to take it from him, he got this resigned look in his eye and said, "I guess I really don't want one after all." It's hard to have things in an area where other people don't.

This made me think of Nene Teresa, ethnically Albanian though born in Macedonia. She, like all of those in her order, took a vow of poverty. While very noble, I think it very practical as well. If you are inspired to help the poor, and believe that the best way to help is to live in their community, it is truly uncomfortable to enjoy your "riches". I say riches loosely, as luxury is in many cases in the eye of the beholder. What seems like necessity to one may be a luxury for another.

Not only would it be in some ways more comfortable to take up a vow of poverty, but then when everyone asks you for money you can say in perfect sincerity, "I don't have it to give you but I can help you rebuild your house with my time and effort".




All I can say is that it's not easy being a have living among have nots. It's a tension that is with you every day and with everyone that you interact with, like standing on your toes all day.

7 comments:

Ariel the Thief said...

Most people don't chose to have not, some do. Brave souls. More than brave.

dandjschoch said...

I think most of us would rather have and live with others who have. lol However, I have been learning,(slowly)that it actually makes life much less complicated if we let go of the stuff. Somethings though, like the ability to go for a coffee, or to have healthcare for my children, talk on the computer etc., I still would go insane without.

tsduff said...

We would go insane without you on the computer too. :)

That being said - your gypsy child makes a stunning portrait. So does the broken car. Can I imagine living in squallor, with no way to run down for a hermitically sealed fresh dressed chicken & an ice cold six pack of beer for dinner, or a Starbucks on the corner...? I can imagine it, but don't know how gracefully I would manage to live with it. I do like the idea of simple though... away from the rat race we are surrounded by here in the bay area.

Hugs to you and your very missed family :)

Sally said...

Most of us don't understand how lucky we really are and how much we have. Especially here in the USA where you can get governement help or use a food bank if you have no food. We don't understand what true poverty is.

tsduff said...

Oh where oh where has the Julee gone oh where oh where can she be? I haven't sent any chocolate on the slow boat to China to your live in chocoholic yet for his birthday... I'm afraid he overdosed on yours last time.

Kelly said...

Yes Julee, we've been missing you bunches. Perhaps no news is good news? And perhaps you'll have photos of your kids in costumes? Do you do Halloween or harvest things in Albania?

tsduff said...

What's the matter - cat got your tongue? MISS YOU JULES